To the left are links to the subdivision indentures which can be printed or read as PDF documents. If you are like me, you'll fall asleep long before getting to Article IV "Restrictions" so just that section was reprinted below for reading online.
1. RUNNING WITH THE LAND. This Indenture shall be filed with the Office of the Recorder of Deeds of St. Louis County, Missouri, shall run with the land and shall be binding upon the parties hereto, and all present and future owners of lots in the Subdivision and upon all persons and corporations claiming under the parties hereto and all present and future lot owners for a period of thirty (30) years from the date this Indenture is recorded, after which time said covenants shall be automatically extended for successive periods of ten (10) years, unless a written instrument signed by the then owners of the majority of the lots has been recorded agreeing to change these covenants in whole or in part.
2. LAND USE AND BUILDING TYPE. No lot shall be used except as a single-family dwelling for residential purposes. No Structure (as defined below) except for one (1) detached single-family dwelling and one (1) private attached garage shall be erected, altered, placed or permitted to remain on any lot. The minimum finished livable area of each such dwelling determined at the time of construction shall be no less than the finished livable square footage of the previous dwelling on any lot. Any garage and /or basement or other unfinished area of the dwelling shall not be considered as part of the livable area. The minimum retail appraised value of each such dwelling, whether constructed on a previously unimproved lot or constructed in place of a “torn down” prior dwelling, excluding the cost of the lot, shall be not less than One Hundred Sixty Thousand Dollars ($160,000).
3. ARCHITECTURAL CONTROL. No structure, dwelling, garage or any modification (collectively “Structure”) thereto shall be erected, placed or its external appearance altered on any lot until the architectural/engineering/construction plans and specifications together with a spot survey, or equivalent, showing the location of the Structure shall have been submitted to the Trustees at any scheduled meeting and approved in writing by a majority of the Trustees as to quality of workmanship and materials, harmony of external design with existing Structures, location with respect to lot boundaries, topography, finish grade elevation and such other related matters at the Trustees may reasonably, fairly and equitably determine. It shall be the duty of the Trustees in connection therewith to cause all Structures in the Subdivision to conform in quality and architectural design to standards calculated to preserve the Subdivision as a desirable residential area. No fence, hedge or mass planting (collectively “Fence”) shall be erected, placed or altered on any lot nearer to any street than the minimum setback line. The Trustees shall respond to any written request made by a lot owner for construction or modification of any Structure or Fence within forty-five (45) calendar days from the date of receipt of such request that has been properly submitted at any scheduled meeting of the Trustees.
4. BUILDING LOCATIONS. No Structure shall be located on any lot closer to the front lot line(s) or closer to the side street line(s) than the minimum building setback line shown on the recorded plat. For the purposes of this covenant, eaves, steps and open porches shall be considered as part of the Structure; provided however, that this shall not be construed to permit any portion of a Structure on one (1) lot to encroach upon another lot.
5. EASEMENTS. Easements for installation and maintenance of utilities and drainage facilities are reserved as shown on the recorded plat and over the rear five (5) feet of each lot. Within these easements, no structure, planting or other material shall be placed or permitted to remain which may damage or interfere with the installations and maintenance of utilities or may change the direction of flow of drainage channels in the easements or which may obstruct or retard the flow of water to drainage channels in the easements. The easement area on each lot and all improvements in it shall be maintained continuously by the owner of the lot except for those improvements for which a public authority or utility company is responsible.
6. NUISANCES. No obnoxious, noxious, or offensive activity shall be carried on upon any lot nor shall anything be done thereon which may be or become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood.
7. TEMPORARY STRUCTURES. No structure of a temporary character, trailer, basement, tent, shack, barn or other outbuilding shall be used on any lot at any time as a residence, whether temporarily or permanently.
8. SIGNS. No sign of any kind shall be displayed to the public view on any lot or on any vehicle parked on any lot or in front of any lot except one (1) sign of not more than five (5) square feet advertising the property for sale. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the owners of a lot may advertise a garage sale by erecting one (1) sign of not more than five (5) square feet which sign shall not be posted on any lot in excess of twenty-four (24) hours. The Trustees shall, in their sole discretion, have the right to dispense with the provisions hereunder in respect of sign limitations and any such dispensation shall not be deemed a waiver on the part of the Trustees’ right to enforce such provisions in the future.
9. LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY. No pigeons, poultry, cattle, hogs, rabbits, wild animals or other animals excepting normal and reasonable number of dogs and cats may be kept on any lot except with the written permission of the Trustees and such permission, if granted, shall be revocable at the discretion of the Trustees. No animals shall be raised or bred on any lot for commercial purposes.
10. GARBAGE AND REFUSE DISPOSAL. No lot shall be used or maintained as a dumping ground for rubbish. Trash, garbage or other waste shall not be kept except in sanitary containers.
11. SEWAGE DISPOSAL. No individual sewage disposal system or septic tank shall be permitted on any lot.
12. RESUBDIVISION OF LOTS. No lot shall be resubdivided nor shall a fractional part of any lot be sold.
13. SLOPE CONTROL AREAS. Slope control areas are reserved as shown on the recorded Subdivision plat. Within these slope control areas no structure, planting or other materials shall be placed or permitted to remain, or other activities undertaken which may damage or interfere with established slope ratios, create erosion or sliding problems, or which may change the direction of flow of drainage channels or obstruct or retard the flow of water through drainage channels. Slope control areas of each lot and all improvements in them shall be maintained continuously by the owner of the lot, except for those improvements for which a public authority or utility company is responsible.
14. VEHICLE LIMITATIONS. No recreational vehicle, including, but not limited to, motor homes, campers, trailers of any kind or description, boats or other vehicles or equipment having like or kindred purpose or use shall be kept on any lot in the subdivision where the same shall be continuously exposed to public view except in compliance with a permit issued by the Trustees which shall condition the grant of such permit upon the erection or construction of a suitable improvement, for the concealment of such vehicle in accordance with subparagraph 3 of this Article IV. No truck, or commercial vehicle shall be regularly parked in the streets, yards or driveways of any lots in the Subdivision.
15. SIGHT DISTANCE AT INTERSECTIONS. No fence, wall, hedge or shrub planting which obstructs sight lines at elevations between two (2) and six (6) feet above the roadways shall be placed or permitted to remain on any corner lot within the triangular area formed by the street or in the case of a rounded property corner from the intersection of the street property lines extended. No trees shall be permitted to remain within such distance of such intersections unless the foliage line is maintained at sufficient height to prevent obstruction of such sight lines.
16. LAND NEAR WATER COURSES. No detached or outbuilding or any construction shall be placed or shall any material or refuse be paced or stored on any lots within twenty (20) feet of the property line of any part or edge of any open water source.
17. FENCES. No fences shall be erected on any lot in front of the building line or on any lot in an area adjacent to any common ground, and no fence may be erected without consent in writing of the Trustees. In the event any fence shall be constructed, it shall not be permitted to deteriorate or fall into disrepair, and the Trustees may in their discretion repair or restore such fence and charge the cost of same to the owner of such lot.
18. RENTAL OF HOMES. In the event that a lot owner desires to rent or lease his dwelling, such lot owner shall first notify in writing the Trustees of his intention to do so, and, if requested by the Trustees, shall provide a copy of the proposed rental agreement or lease, or, if none, then a written summary of any oral agreement for such arrangement and a copy of the City of Ballwin Occupancy Permit. In addition, before such owner permits any tenant to occupy the dwelling, such owner shall pay to the Trustees a cash deposit of Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($750) to insure that the subject lot and dwelling will be maintained in accordance with this Indenture. The cash deposit will be held by the Trustees and shall not bear any interest to the lot owner. If a lot owner should sell his dwelling or discontinue the rental or leasing of the dwelling, the Trustees shall refund any remaining balance of the cash deposit to the lot owner within thirty (30) days of receipt of written notice from the lot owner of the sale of his dwelling or discontinuation of the rental or leasing of the dwelling.
The cash deposit may be expended by the Trustees in their sole discretion to provide any necessary external repairs to the dwelling and to maintain the lot in accordance with this Indenture.
It shall be the lot owner’s responsibility to maintain a cash deposit of Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($750) at all times during the term of such tenancy. Within fifteen (15) days of the date on which written notice is mailed to the lot owner by or on behalf of the Trustees, the lot owner shall remit to the Trustees the amount contained in such notice which is necessary to restore the cash deposit to Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($750).
Failure to provide and maintain such cash deposit shall be considered a material breach of the covenants of this Indenture, and will result in a lien being placed against such property in the same manner and to the same extent as provided for assessments in Article III of this Indenture. Any and all legal fees and related expenses pertaining thereto shall be borne in full by the lot owner.